Dynasty 5 Application for 2020-2021 school year
Parent Information Letter (English and Spanish)
Part I: Common application for all programs (CLICK LINK)
- Due Feb 19th
- Due March 5th
- Application window opens in February 10th after semester 1 finals, and students are selected by March 30th. All students must complete a two part application process.
- Part 1: Common application form used for application to any specialized Academies/programs at Foothill
- Part 2: DTech- specific application
- Part 2 application information will be provided for students who attend an interest meeting February 3rd at 9:30 AM, which will be announced in C3 and in the bulletin. Interest meeting for the 2021-22 school year will be held February 10th at 10 AM. Zoom join link (click)
- Students transferring from other schools must contact the DTech Academy Director, Kurt Miller, to request the application info and submit their application as soon as possible. If transfer students apply after the student selection process is completed in March and the Dynasty is full, the student will be applying for a wait-list spot.
- C's or above in all classwork is recommended and the ability to handle the additional rigorous coursework.
- Students must be able to have room in their schedule to complete all A-G requirements AND the additional DTech Elective Pathway courses.
- DTech Academy students cannot be dual enrolled in the Bioscience Academy.
- Many DTech students participate in athletics. Sports okay.
- Students must like making cool stuff and working in a choice-driven environment!
Selection Criteria (16 points total)
9th grade first semester grades or cumulative transcript, if student is applying as a sophomore or junior:
- The program is competitive. Earn the highest marks possible, and show interest, aptitude, and ability. Applicants will receive 1 - 4 points based on their GPA.
- One practical project (you will be building something) will be graded based on a 1 - 4 point scale. Your score will be based on creativity, workmanship, and thoughtfulness.
- There are other relevant aspects to the selection process. It is important to have an Academy that reflects the socioeconomic and demographic picture of Foothill Technology High School and to offer opportunity to all who are interested and are responsible enough to handle the added requirements. Based on a 1 - 4 point scale.
- A willingness to commit to the program for its entirety (3 years), although we understand that sometimes students learn along the way to find out greater passions are found elsewhere. With that said, we want to expose students to diverse experiences, which often means being outside of their comfort zone, and welcome learners that embrace these experiences rather than flee at the first sign of struggle.
- DTech student selection will be reviewed by Bioscience Academy, ASB, Journalism, AVID, and other program directors. We aim to provide opportunities to as many students as possible, and if a student applied for and is selected to more than one program, that student may be asked to choose if that additional program impacts schedule or limits opportunities for others.
- Only 35 students are chosen for each group, known as a dynasty, due to lab safety concerns and the limited amount of space in both the classrooms and in the Master Schedule.
- Sophomore and Junior level applicants are invited to apply for an open space in the cohorts if student numbers drop below 35 due to natural attrition from students moving or having scheduling conflicts with other activities.
- Students who are not admitted will be placed on a waiting list and will have an opportunity to join if a spot opens. Wait lists are good for one year. Students must reapply every year.
- You will be notified by email (the address you provide) about your admittance status.
Maintain Cs or higher in every academic class including DTech Academy courses.
- An academic class is defined as a course that meets the A-G requirements
- Academy students must complete a minimum of five career connections per year. Career connections are offered within the program and does not need to be sought out by the student.
- Students who are involved in athletics or other outside programs must notify their coaches or supervisors and get approval for missing practices or games if DTech activities fall outside of school hours. (e.g., field trips, community or weekend events). These events outside of school hours (usually 2-4 for the year) are minimal and will be scheduled ahead of time for planning purposes.
- Academy students are expected to behave in a way that represents Foothill Technology High School and our Academy with honor and respect. Students will be working or observing in the manufacturing / engineering / design / business community and must demonstrate their ability to be mature and trustworthy.